Commonly Used Terms/Acronyms
- Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB)
- Date of Injury (DOI)
- Average Weekly Wage (AWW) – AWW is used to determine the employee’s rate of temporary, total, or partial disability or permanent total disability. It is determined by dividing the employee’s total wages for the previous year by 52.
- Notice of Controversy (NOC) – a form sent from MSMA to an injured worker and the WCB to notify an injured worker that their request for benefits is being denied.
- Memorandum of Payment (MOP) – a form sent from MSMA to an injured worker and the WCB to notify the employee that a payment for lost time benefits has been made.
- Discontinuance or Modification of Compensation (DISC or MOD) – a form sent by MSMA to an injured worker and the WCB to notify the employee that benefits have been discontinued or modified.
- Mediation – Mediation is a mandatory step in the claim process if the claim has been disputed (NOC). Parties meet to discuss claim specifics and any defenses and try to arrive at an agreement with the assistance of a mediator. Mediations are held at the WCB regional offices.
- Petition – A written request by a party asking that a WCB hearing officer schedule a formal hearing to address a specific issue.