The Maine School Boards Association and the Maine School Superintendents Association are pleased to announce the Cultural Competence Institute (CCI) for all Maine educators, presented by Lawrence Alexander from Carney Sandoe and Associates Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Practice Group. Click here to read Lawrence Alexander’s bio.
An Overview of the Cultural Competence Institute for Maine Educators
The Cultural Competence Institute Vision: The CCI will be an interactive year-long program that will cover topics essential to:
- Developing a deep understanding of creating a culture of inclusion
- Developing brave spaces for conversations about race in our schools
- Creating a cultural connection for students and parents
- Creating a sustainable practice for diversity, equity and inclusion in our schools
- Guiding policy development in school districts
- Recruiting, hiring and retaining faculty of color
Participants will participate in an 8 month series of 90 minute professional development modules that will end in a CCI certification. This certification will allow participants to:
- Lead more effectively with cultural competence and cultural empathy
- Develop practical skills for strategic planning for racial equity and justice work
- Develop professional development for School Districts related to DEI goal
- Develop sustainable practice for DEI work in School Districts
This certificate will have three distinct leadership tracks:
1) Teachers, Guidance Counselors and Social Workers 2) District Administrators and Building Principals 3) Superintendents and School Boards
The CCI Inaugural Event was held on Wednesday, August 26th. To view the PowerPoint from the kickoff event, please click.
To register for future events, please use the forms linked below. MSMA will bill your District once the registration forms are received.
Session Dates – All Sessions are from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Session 1 - Sept. 14: Cultural Building Blocks: Understanding My Cultural Identity...
Session 2 - Oct. 19: Creating Brave Space for Courageous Conversations About Race...
Session 3 - Rescheduled for Dec. 14 (Originally scheduled for Nov. 30): Understanding My School's/District's Culture: Taking Inventory
Session 4 - Jan. 11: Creating a Culture of Inclusion(1): Within the School Community
Session 5 - Feb. 8: Creating a Culture of Inclusion(2): For Students and Families
Session 6 - March 8: Who are My Students: Understanding Life Outside of the Class Day
Session 7 - April 12: Developing a Sustainable Practice for DEI: Schools and Districts
Session 8 - May 10: DEI Mentorship: How to Find One and How to be One?
The cost per individual session: $125.00 Educators who are not able to attend the entire Institute may enroll in individual sessions that are of interest to them. Educators participating in individual sessions will not receive CCI Certification, however CEU’s will be provided.
Please register the Friday before the session you are interested in attending to make sure you receive the Zoom code. Click to register here.
The cost of multiple district teams is the following:
- First School District team of five: $1,500 for the year for the team
- Second School District team of five: $1,200 for the year for the team
- Third School District team of five: $1,000 for the year for the team
Districts are not limited to the number of teams that can participate. Successful completion of the Institute will culminate in CCI Certification and CEU’s will be provided. To register a team, please click here.
If you have any questions or would like additional information about the Cultural Competence Institute, please contact Eileen King, MSSA Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.