Maine's Cultural Competence Institute
presented by MSBA & MSSA
The Cultural Competence Institute Vision: The CCI will be an interactive year-long program that will cover topics essential to:
- Developing a deep understanding of creating a culture of inclusion
- Developing brave spaces for conversations about race in our schools
- Creating a cultural connection for students and parents
- Creating a sustainable practice for diversity, equity and inclusion in our schools
- Guiding policy development in school districts
- Recruiting, hiring and retaining faculty of color
Participants will participate in an 8 month series of 90 minute professional development modules that will end in a CCI certification. This certification will allow participants to:
- Lead more effectively with cultural competence and cultural empathy
- Develop practical skills for strategic planning for racial equity and justice work
- Develop professional development for School Districts related to DEI goals
- Develop sustainable practice for DEI work in School Districts
Session Dates and Topics
All sessions are from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Session 1 - Sept. 14: Cultural Building Blocks: Understanding My Cultural Identity...
Session 2 - Oct. 19: Creating Brave Space for Courageous Conversations About Race...
Session 3 - Rescheduled for Dec. 14 (Originally scheduled for Nov. 30): Understanding My School's/District's Culture: Taking Inventory
Session 4 - Jan. 11: Creating a Culture of Inclusion(1): Within the School Community
Session 5 - Feb. 8: Creating a Culture of Inclusion(2): For Students and Families
Session 6 - March 8: Who are My Students: Understanding Life Outside of the Class Day
Session 7 - April 12: Developing a Sustainable Practice for DEI: Schools and Districts
Session 8 - May 10: DEI Mentorship: How to Find One and How to be One?
*CCI Graduation Party!*
Meeting materials *** For registered Attendees only***
Session Videos*** FOR REGISTERED ATTENDEES ONLY***
Linked below are the session videos (the password is case sensitive). If you do not have the password to access the videos, please contact Deb Swift.