The Maine School Boards Association Board of Directors met this past Saturday, January 4, 2020. One of the items on the agenda had to do with vacancies on the Board. Following Delegate Assembly the following vacancies exist:
- Region I (Aroostook County) – Director
- Region VIII (Kennebec County) – Director
- State-wide – Three (3) At-Large Directors
Each of these positions would be for a one year appointment. The opportunity to seek election for a longer term would be provided through the nomination and election process at the 2020 MSBA Delegate Assembly at the MSMA Fall Conference. The one restriction within the MSBA Constitution is there can be no more than three Directors from any one Region, including Officers.
The Board of Directors is interested in having these positions filled for a variety of reasons:
- To broaden the ability of more Directors to share the work of advocacy and training of school boards within the state;
- To create a one-year learning opportunity for a school board member wishing to have greater involvement at the MSBA and state level; and
- To fully represent the state with Directors from each of the nine school board regions.
The process to submit an application is as follows:
- Complete the application form and submit to Mary Ellen Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 27, 2020. She will forward the applications to MSBA President Sue Hawes.
- President Hawes will review the applications and conduct phone call interviews with each interested candidate prior to February 21, 2020.
- Applicants will be notified prior to February 26 if their name will be going forward to the MSBA Board of Directors for approval at their February 29th meeting.
- Once approved, an orientation of new members will be conducted by MSBA President Hawes and Executive Director Bailey prior to the next MSBA Board of Directors meeting. That next meeting is scheduled for March 21.
- Newly appointed Directors would have the opportunity to attend meetings scheduled for March 21, May 2, August 22, and October 28, 2020.
- Additionally, newly appointed members would have the opportunity to participate in Committees of the MSBA: Legislative, Resolutions, and Constitution/Bylaws Committee and help with regional professional learning opportunities for school board members.
We encourage you to express interest through submission of your application.